Ecuador, Guayaquil South Mission


Saturday, August 25, 2012

Final Mailed Letter From Peru MTC -

7-23-12

Dear family of me,

This will be the last letter you get from me in the Peru MTC. Youll have a legitimate missionary by the time you will ge this letter. I am so excited to finally become a missionary. It seems like I'm not "one of those missionaries" yet. Pero, I'm excited to start!

So we went proselyting again on Saturday and this was a day where I felt most like a missionary. We taught 3 personas. The first lady we taught, we talked about how the Book of Mormon came to be. My companion (Latino) pretty much said everything then he turned to me & I didn't know what to say ha-ha. I never thought I'd be in the situation where I didn't even know what to say in English. I can't remember what I said but it wasn't that good.

The second person we taught was another hermana and I think she was a less active. My latino companion said everything about going to church, then turned to me & I didn't know what to say again. It's weird, Spanish isn't a problem, it's a matter to know what to say! Ha-ha.

Now the third person I talked to was completely different. I was allowed to introduce the Book of Mormon, ha-ha. My companion told me to so I did it semi-good. We ended up going to his house & teaching him a lesson. I love teaching so much more sitting down rather than standing  so we were teaching this guy sitting down and I felt like I was talking pretty fluent. Ha-ha, I don't want to brag or anything, but I was kind of a big deal (tell Clint that). I talked about my favorite chapter in the BOM, 3 Nefi 11. I told him that's when Jesus comes to the Americas & that's when I found the BOM to be true. It was really cool, I loved teaching. The spirit was really strong.

Like I've told you, I'm trying to be fluent in the religious side of Spanish by October 23, exactly 5 months from May 23 (when I left) and 3 months from when i'm writing this letter. That goal keeps me going every day. I've had a few momentw where I just get frustrated with the language. For example, I would say something in Spanish, the person wouldn't understand me, so my companion says the exact same thing to clarify then the person would understand. I was like "whoa! That's exactly how I said it!" Ha-ha, it's all good though.

man there are 2 elders here in Peru that I've been with my whole MTC experience. It's gonna be weird leaving them. We've gone through a lot together and like dad was saying, you make a lot of friends in the MTC. The one elder that I met in Peru, is from Enterprise so I'll probably meet him again, but still, the other guys I will probably never see again. Thank goodness for Facebook huh? Ha-ha.

I'm feeling pretty good right now about Ecuador From what I've heard from all the other people from Guayaquil, is that it will be hot. I'm anxious to see (feel) their version of hot. Ha-ha. I'm excited to get a tan on my arms & face and will probably never wear sunscreen so I'm gonna look like an Indian when I get back! I love being a missionary though, it's an awesome feeling. 

Love you all, Elder Gates

No comments:

Post a Comment