Ecuador, Guayaquil South Mission


Monday, February 11, 2013

Your Son's In Machala!!!


1-7-13
Subject: It’s your son in Machala
Hey guys so guess what..... I got changed!!!!!!! I’m currently in the city called Machala, this city is on the coast so do you know what that means, its hot ha-ha. But you know what; it’s just like St George weather. Nothing too crazy. All the elders in Cuenca used to describe the coast as being a place that’s hot and sunny and always hot, but I’ve been here for about 5 hours, and I gotta say, it feels pretty good here ha-ha I like it a lot. So this is what happened. Yesterday, me, Elder Donis, and the other Elder Navarro got to the house around 9:15. We talked about what we thought was going to happen with changes. Then Elder Donis went to the bathroom and called the Zl to let them know about the numbers of the week. For some reason he called in the bathroom, I don’t know why ha. Okay so I could hear him. He was reporting the numbers like he does every week, then I hear him say "quiere hablar con elder Gates?" Elder Donis was talking to Elder Whitney, the guy who played for salt lake community college. Apparently Elder Whitney wanted to talk to me. I didn’t know what for ha-ha. So Elder Donis said alright one second. he came out of the bathroom, gave me the phone and I said "ELDER WHITNEY WHATS UP MY BRO!" Ha-ha he then started to say how happy he is that I served in Cuenca, and that I did a really good job with the zone and with keeping Elder Donis busy. Then he said, Elder Gates, you have changes, you’re going to Machala tomorrow. Ha-ha I was like wow that’s awesome!! Then he continued with saying I’m going to have a lot of success in the mission and that he hopes we can meet up again someday. Man Elder Whitney is awesome; he has helped me a lot in the mission. I just said,  “thanks for everything elder.” Hung up, then started to pack ha-ha.

Okay so packing was hard. I have a lot of stuff right now. I’m still waiting for the package. It hasn’t gotten here yet ha-ha. But yeah I packed everything. I was at the bus station at 7 in the morning. Then I said my goodbyes to Elder Donis. Then they left, I stayed with the Zone leaders until 8:30. Then they said goodbye to me. Then... I was off to Machala by bus. It was interesting. I rode the bus by myself ha-ha. I was the only elder going to Machala from Cuenca so I didn’t have any companions with me. When I got to Machala. I had no idea where I was. I asked some fat dude where the bus station was. He told me so I went there and called the zone leaders that are here to go the bus station. I probably waited in the terminal for 30 minutes until the Zl finally came. Ha-ha it was fun being by myself. Okay so I’m going to explain some things, my new compañion is named Elder Montesinos. He’s from Peru. Ask Tanner to pronunciate the name in Spanish ha-ha. He has 1 change more than me in the mission. This elder is a stud. He has spent his whole mission here in Machala and has 29 baptisms ha-ha. He’s awesome. I’m not sure who senior comp. is because he was junior comp the change before. I’m going to say he’s senior comp because he has 1 change more than me ha-ha. Okay so that’s my companion. 
Elder Montesinos
And now about Machala. Apparently this zone is like a really good zone. The zone is called Oro. Which means gold ha-ha. They baptize a ton of people here. There’s a lot of less active, but a ton of members here in Machala. My comp told me in 1 month, him and another elder had 7 baptisms in one month. I told him ha-ha that’s more baptisms then Cuenca had in November. Ha-ha so Machala is like that. A sector where they baptize a ton of people. I think we will be working together a lot better here. This elder tells me the obedience is the key to success. I wanted to hug him because that’s exactly what I think too ha-ha. So I think we will have a lot of success here in Machala. I’m looking forward to staying here for a while. Okay so  not much more to say. Just wanted to say that I’m here in a different city. Machala is a little bit smaller then Cuenca. But a lot more success here. I've heard that members take real good care of us here too so I’m looking forward to eating a lot of sea food ha-ha.

 Remember what dad said about how I should enjoy Cuenca because other parts are going to be poverty.... well he was right. The apartment here is poo compared to the apartment in Cuenca ha-ha. It’s nothing too bad. The floors aren't dirt or anything like that. Just isn't like the other apartment ha-ha. 



Patio outside our apartment where I can do exercises
Okay so I hope I answered all the questions. Pretty much, I’m here in Machala. Machala is on the coast and I’m here with Elder Montesinos. Okay so I hope everything is going good at home. I miss you guys a lot. I had a lot of fun talking to you guys on the phone. Be safe please and yeah choose the right ha-ha. Peace!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Why haven't I seen these pictures? He looks so good. And happy even though the place looks not as nice as his last apt.

    ReplyDelete