Shaydon was able to call us on a layover from the Atlanta airport on Tuesday, June 12. We expected the call between 1:30 - 3:30 pm but were surprised when he called at 1 instead! I was just finding the plane route to see if it was on time when he called! It was so exciting to see "pay phone" on the caller id! I screamed throughout the house, "it's him, it's him!" Funny how he's only been gone for 3 weeks but it was still exciting to hear from him:) I answered the phone with, "ola" and he responded with an "ola" as well. Me, Jon, Clint, and Jaxon were all home when he called and then we were able to take turns putting Cassidee and Tanner on 3-way since Cass was working at the spa and Tanner of course is still in Missouri for the summer. Grandma Gates also popped in to talk for a few minutes so it was all good!
Shaydon sounded soooo good and had a certain energize and excitement within him. He loved speaking to us in Spanish and couldn't get enough of a Spanish conversation with his brother Tanner who spoke Spanish where he served in Chile for 2 years. It was hilarious listening to the two of them converse. It was like listening to a Spanish crash course as Tanner gave a few pointers! I was glad to see how much he's learned and that he loves learning Spanish and did quite well for only 3 weeks of training. He also had a natural roll of the tongue as he spoke so I know without a doubt that he will be speaking fluently here shortly. The phone call lasted about 1 1/2 hours which was the perfect amount of time. The reason he called earlier than expected is because they were able to take an earlier flight than scheduled so it left more time on the layover in Atlanta!! Yay!! Prayers were answered and he was able to have enough time to call us . . . .
Shaydon indicated that he's glad to be going to Peru and leaving the Provo MTC. He liked it there but is ready for a change. He's traveling with 15 missionaries who are all going to the Peru MTC. His Provo companion was not able to leave because his Visa wasn't ready! He felt really bad about that. Elder Bunker is serving in Peru so he couldn't go without his Visa. Shaydon didn't need a Visa for Peru since he'll only be there for 6 weeks. There's been quite a few Elder's from the St. George area that Shaydon has seen while at the MTC. He's talked to Kaden Barber quite a bit, Flash, Devin Gubler, Reggie, Preston Root to name a few. He's loved his time in training so far and is quite excited about his new adventure in the Peru MTC. Other missionaries have told him about the MTC there and stated that he will only be speaking in Spanish while there and that he'll have a native companion. This helps him pick up on the language ten times faster so I guess that's why they do split training like this. The Peruvian food is supposed to be very good too.
Shaydons voice sure calmed this mama's heart. I loved hearing that old familiar laugh especially when he'd truly crack up at funny stuff that's been happening at home (those of you who know of his laugh, know what I'm talking about!) - I felt like a new woman after the phone call ended. He sounded driven, excited, and focused on being the best missionary he can be. Yes, I was emotional after we hung up but it was more like a happy emotion with tears. "We miss you Shady but are so very proud of you and your decision to serve. This will be by far the best and the hardest 2 years of your life! I'm so grateful for the power of prayer that enables me to feel close to you even though you're thousands of miles away."
I believe that families of missionaries are serving right along with there loved ones and will enjoy those experiences with them! I anticipate the next 2 years with gladness and gratitude for it's wonderful to have another son who is worthy to serve His master. I will also be glad to turn each page in the calendar for our next phone call in December!!!! Love you Shady!
03.03.14
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment