Ecuador, Guayaquil South Mission


Tuesday, October 16, 2012


10-8-12
Subject: It’s Your Son
Hi guys!!! Alright real quick I have some bad news. I wasn't able to watch all the conference talks. To tell you the truth, I was only able to watch the morning session on Saturday, and about an hour of the afternoon session on Sunday. We weren't able to watch them because we had muchas citas (many appointments) in the afternoon of Saturday. And we had an important cita (appointment) in the night of Saturday. And then in the morning on Sunday, we brought all of our investigadors to the stake center; we brought 6 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon!!!!!! So yeah the stake center isn't very big, so yeah the room filled up pretty fast and the missionaries weren't able to watch the session because yeah no more room ha-ha. So I wasn't able to watch the first session. Then after conferencia we went to lunch, and then right before we were about to leave, it started raining ice. Uh yeah ICE. Ha-ha fue muy extraño!!! I don’t understand how it rained ice but it did. We weren't able to leave til about 3 aclock because la mamita wouldn't let us. So when we finally got to the stake center again, it was 4 aclock at there was only 1 hour left. So yeah that was my conferencia weekend for ya ha-ha. It was fun; it was definitely fun watching all of the investigadores face after conference. They all said oh so beautiful!!!! Ha-ha so some more good news for you, you remember the lady who is married to that mean guy? Well yeah she still can’t get married because of him, but her daughter has been taking lessons also. Every time we invite the daughter to be baptized, she says "no sé" "la cosa es.... no sé!!" it’s been kinda frustrating because she has gone to church 4 times, and every time she is really into the lessons, volunteers to pray and yeah acts like the golden investigador. But whenever we are at her house, she always gives us the "no sé" response. Very frustrating ha-ha. But finally, she went to conferencia, and after Elder Donis was like "se bautizará este sábado?"  (do you want to be baptized on Saturday?) y Ella respondió "Si" ha-ha-ha, I was so happy!! So we will have 3 bautismos this Saturday!! Conferencia is a huge impact for people, I wish we did it more often ha-ha. 
Ward Mission Group With Elders Donis & Gates
So that is our week with our investigadors. We have a lot of potential for Octubre and Noviembre but the thing is that I could possibly leave after this week. We have changes next Monday, and I have the biggest feeling I’m going to leave because let’s face it, it’s harder to get baptisms here in Cuenca and a missionary here told me that the presidente likes to give lots of baptisms to new missionaries so they can get in the habit of doing it and see how the process works. So because of that, I think I’m going to leave ha-ha but it’s not certain, maybe the president will see that we have 3 fechas (dates) for this Saturday, and 1 more for next Saturday, so maybe that will change his mind. You’ll find out next week ha-ha. That’ll be my subject for the email if I’m gone or if I’m still here in Cuenca. I don’t want to leave, I mean, I’ll do whatever but it’s just we have a lot of potential this next change for baptisms and I love the members here, and I have my "parents" living underneath me ha-ha. The Lamarchas are awesome, they feed us whenever we don’t have lunch, they let us use the computer, (I’m using it right now), and I play chess with Elder Lamarcha all the time ha-ha. So yeah I think I’ll miss them the most if I leave but it’s all good, I’ll do whatever.
Wonderful Ward Members Who Help The Missionaries Convert
So about conference, I think it was pretty crazy about that announcement. I don’t want to freak mom out but Clint could leave the August or September when I get home. Wow ha-ha that’s crazy. I think it’s a good idea to get teens out in the mission field sooner. I wish I would have left sooner; I also liked Elder Nelsons talk who repeated the announcement and how he kept saying that, "missionaries can help you", he said it like 5 times ha-ha. It feels great helping people; I think that’s the best part of the mission, helping people leave their problems aside and joining this church. Our investigador who I said will be a bishop someday had some major problems with alcohol and tobacco and maybe drugs idk but he’s been clean for about 2 months and he told us that he wants to be baptized so he can have the espiritu santo en su vida (holy spirit in his life). This guy is so excited for baptism, he went to conference and loved it and I’ll be baptizing him this Saturday so I’m really excited for that. If I do leave, at least I'll be able to baptize this guy. I also loved the talk of the hermana about being a Mormon. I’m not really sure what she said in English but in Spanish she says "Yo soy mormón, me canta" me canta is it sings to me ha-ha. People say "me gusta" y "me canta" (I like it and I sing) here ha-ha. What did she say in English? I’m interested in knowing how that’s translated ha-ha. 

I don’t think I’ve every responded from the flood. that’s crazy that happened. At least everyone is alright. Are they still cleaning it up?  About the debate, ha-ha I kinda got the update from Elder Lamarcha. He was so excited to tell me so the day after it happened, he called me down and was like ROMNEY CLOBBERED OBAMA ha-ha. I wasn’t surprised because Obama is stupid and Romney isn't.  I hope he can win. I’m curious how he is doing in the polls now after that debate.

Alright guys thanks for the letters. I sent letters last Monday so you’ll prob get them in 2 weeks or next week idk. Well this could be my last email in Cuenca. Hope all is well. I love you guys!!! Take Care!!!
Love,
Elder Gates

No comments:

Post a Comment