Ecuador, Guayaquil South Mission


Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My First Baptism!!


10-15-12
Subject: The Mean Guy Said Yes!!!
Hey guys!! So we had changes and I’m still in Cuenca ha-ha. There were a lot of elders who got changed. A good friend of mine got changed, I don’t know where, I’ll find out tomorrow when we have our meeting with the zone. Oh and also, Elder y Hermana Lamarcha are leaving this Wednesday. We had interviews with the president on Thursday, and president Montalti told Elder y Hermana Lamarcha that they are going to go to the Galapagos Islands for 3 months. Crazy huh ha! So they’ll be leaving this Wednesday. I’m really going to miss them; they've been so nice to us and always give us food when we have hunger. 
Elder & Hermana Lemarcha
Do you remember that plane crash in cedar city with all the dermatologists? Well their son works in Cedar City as a doctor in the same building as the other dermatologists. And luckily their son in-law wasn’t on the plane; he stayed in the office that day. I think his wife didn’t want him to go so that’s why he stayed. That’s a crazy story. So Elder y Hermana Lamarcha have family that live in Cedar City. So I plan on visiting them some day when they come to Cedar City. They are awesome people. 

So if you’ve noticed, the subject of my email is "that mean guy said yes". The guy that’s married to an investigador that we have gave her the ok to get baptized. So we had 3 baptisms on Saturday and 3 confirmacions yesterday!!! 
Elder Gates, Transito, Rinarldo, Carmen & Elder Donis
The guy that I said will be a bishop soon backed out. Apparently his wife had 2 thousand dollars on her and she got robbed all the money. So that happened on Wednesday. We went there the night of Wednesday and he told us that he needs more time to make up his decision and that he has to work on Sundays. It was really sad hearing that. Well go there tonight to let him know that he'll receive a lot more business if he goes to church and gets baptized. He sells stuff on the street, so I know without a doubt if he gets baptized and goes to church, he will be able to provide for the family. So hopefully he can make the right decision. 
Rinarldo
And our three baptisms on Saturday were Carman Mejilla, the 20 year old lady that finally made up her mind after GC (general conference). Renarldo Morocho, who is 19 and his dad, is a member. And Transito Zolando, who was waiting for permission. Carmen is the daughter of Transito. So we had 3 baptisms and I baptized Renarldo and Transito. Ha-ha Transito was my first baptism. When I dunked her in the water, her legs came up, not out of the water but off the ground. So when I raised her back up, she didn’t have any balance and I was basically just holding her. She’s an older lady so that’s why ha-ha. It was funny. She gave a big yelp when I said Amen and dunked her. Ha-ha it was awesome!! In the tape, I talked about her and said she is an awesome lady. I’m glad I was able to see her get baptized. 
Elder Gates, Transito, Carmen & Elder Donis

So that’s the week. This next week we could possibly have another baptism. This guy who is leaving with a member wants to get baptized, but he has to get married first. He told us that he has a date to get married this Thursday, but he could back out of it any day. It’s pretty expensive to get married here. 55 dollars is a lot of money for the people here.
Okay and to answer the question our MAMITAS ha-ha wash our clothes, and we have one meal cooked for us each day. Just lunch. But members and investigadors always gives us bread and cookies when we pass by. Okay family thanks for everything!!!! I’m glad you like my package!! I probably won’t send another package until febrero because it’s expensive to send them. Love you!! Good luck with the deer hunt fam!!!

Love,
Elder Gates

No comments:

Post a Comment