Ecuador, Guayaquil South Mission


Sunday, September 2, 2012

1st Date For Baptism!

8-6-12 - Subject: This is That one Kid
Hey guys! Alright so this is my second email from Ecuador! primero, yo quiero hablar de español. ha-ha I want to talk of Spanish. I can understand mostly what is going on, there are a few times when they start talking about something that has nothing to do with the gospel, like sometimes the investigator starts talking about his life sucks and everything and I’m completely lost because he’s talking about his life decisions, ha-ha I just try to concentrate and pretend I understand. I have found that I have a gringo accent also. ha-ha apparently every new missionary that’s learning Spanish has this problem. the vowels (A-E-I-O-U) all have the same sounds, always. right now, A is the hardest for me to pronunciate. por ejemplo, instead of saying esp-AH-nol, I say esp-uh-nol. I’m supposed to say it with an Ah like when the doctor opens your mouth and you say AH. that’s what it’s supposed to sound like. I tend to say uh like UP ha-ha because I’m from Utah. that’s what I’ve been struggling with the most. that and sometimes I’m lazy with my other vowels and they don’t sound how they are supposed to. oh well, I’ve been reading the BOM in español every morning with voice loud. I try to pronunciate every word slowly so I can permanently tattoo it in my brain. in the shower too I say my vowels out loud. ¨AH-EH-EE-OH-OO´¨ ha-ha I do that about a hundred times in the shower while I’m washing myself. I do that because my companion can’t hear me ha-ha. other than that though, Spanish is great
Shayd's Cuenca Apartment - Typical Missionaries I hope!


Elder Gates' Bed on The Left


Alright so about Cuenca, it’s very nice and beautiful here. The weather is a little chilly in the morning, but it’s not overbearing. I’m glad I have the eagle’s hoody ha-ha. in the morning, I usually just study from 8-9, then from 9-11 we have companerism study. then from 11-12 we have language study. we had meetings with the zone 2 last week so I wasn’t able to do it every day. I’ve been studying the first lesson a lot last week, now I’m studying the 2nd lession, the plan of salvation. after that, we usually go have lunch at a member’s house. it’s pretty good; it’s either chicken or beef with rice and an apple soda that’s really good. ha-ha yesterday on domingo, our family was sick so we had to go with another family. this family wasn’t prepared, so we ate rice, with a salad, with sardines out of a can ha-ha. it wasn’t that bad, it tasted like tuna really. and we all know that I’ve eaten tuna out of the can before so this wasn’t that big of a difference ha-ha. but it had a spine and bones in it, but it was still edible. it wasn’t my favorite but it didn’t make me through up ha-ha. on Wednesday, we had this chicken with this sauce stuff which was absolutely delicious. I mean, that thing was good. I can’t wait to go back there this Wednesday ha-ha. so usually, we just eat lunch, that’s our only meal of the day. in the morning, I usually eat cereal with yogurt, and then towards the end of the day, we usually go to the senor couples house for food, or we just stop by a bakery and get 10 pieces of bread for 85 cents ha-ha es fanátisco!! about my weight, I’m currently at 175 right now ha-ha. I was 187 at Peru so I’ve lost some weight. speaking of losing weight, we walked 16 miles in one day here. our sector is huge so we have to walk around a lot. my companion is going home next Monday so he wants to walk a lot so he looks good for his homecoming. He hasn’t said this yet, but I know that’s why we walk too much and don’t take a taxi. Can’t blame him, I would do the same thing ha-ha.

So last night, I got my first date for baptism!! ha-ha we were just going door to door, met this lady, gave her a brief summary of the gospel of Jesus Christ, my companion then went for it and asked if she would prepare herself for baptism on the 1 of septembre. she said yeah, but the problem is she’s not married and has 2 kids, so we are going to have to work on it a little more than usually to get this ready. we don’t know how serious she is with being baptized, but we will teach her the first lesson and try to get her family way into the church! that’s the goal right now!! 

I also have pictures of me and elder heaps. we took them with a timer this morning in our room ha-ha it was great. we sing every morning before we do personal study so that’s fun, he sometimes pauses and makes me sing solo randomly during the song, I can’t sing, let alone in Spanish so that’s fun ha-ha.

so everything is really good.  Alright I think that’s it for this week. sorry if I left something out. the spirit is dangerously strong here. I love it. peace out family!!!!!!!!!!!

ps, I want peanut butter soooooo bad!!! ha-ha
He seems so proud of his messy apartment! Ha



No comments:

Post a Comment