Ecuador, Guayaquil South Mission


Sunday, September 2, 2012

One Month In Ecuador -

8-20-12
Hey Guys! So I have almost spent a whole month in the mission? Ha-ha wow time flies so much faster in the field rather than in the CCM. So things are going great here. I’m still with the zone leaders ha-ha. It’s been fun though. I’ve learned a whole lot watching 2 experienced missionaries teach. My first day here, last Monday, the zone leaders went to a meeting so I ended up hanging out with the other companionship that’s living in the same house. Elder Perez and Elder Munoz. So we were doing our studying and we practiced teaching leccion 2, el evangelio de Jesus Christo and I wasn’t able to teach anything!! ha-ha I felt so lame! I’m not having a problem with Spanish, it’s a manner of knowing what to say ha-ha! So yeah that didn’t go well but I think it’s a good thing because it really made me realize that being a missionary, you can’t just make stuff up like seminary answers, you literally have to teach the principals and make sure the people know what they need to know. So yeah that happened last Monday. This past week I’ve been working my butt off getting all the principles down in the leccion 2. Now I feel like I can actually teach. The zone leaders give me some time during the lesson to say stuff ha-ha, usually the first vision and the opening prayer ha-ha, but sometimes I talk about a certain principle and I think I’m doing alright ha-ha. Like I said, Spanish isn’t difficult; it’s actually saying stuff that isn't false doctrine.

 So yeah I’m doing great with everything. I have done SO MUCH more stuff this past week than the past 3 weeks combined! I don’t have my journal with me so I can’t say what happened on each day, but I’ll just tell you what happened on one of the days, I think it was Thursday; I made my first contact on the bus! ha-ha it was awesome. all 3 of us got on the bus and there are only 2 pairs of seats next to each other. It’s kinda hard to explain but pretty much there was no more room with the ZL so I had to sit somewhere else. I ended up sitting next to this woman. I think she calls herself Monique ha-ha. so yeah I turned to her and said, BUENAS NOCHES! ha-ha it was awesome. We talked; I explained where I’m from and why I was in Cuenca. I talked about the church, asked her questions like who do you live with, where are you from, what do you do for work. Ha ya it was awesome. There was one word I couldn't say though. Fried chicken. I still don’t know how to say it ha-ha. Since she said that she cooks food for work I asked what type, and she said,  "hamburgers and chicken." So I asked Fried chicken? She wasn't able to understand me. I tried to say fried chicken with a Spanish accent but still, wasn't able to understand me ha-ha. So yeah I almost got her info, but we had to get off the bus so I wasn't able to receive the info. it was awesome! I felt so happy after that! I wasn't able to get the info, but still I felt pretty proud of myself of talking in Spanish and actually communicating with a person from Ecuador. I’m sorry ha-ha; I hope I don’t get dad, Tanner, or Rich mission sick. (home sick), pero mission sick. it’s so much fun here! I gave my first blessing ever yesterday in Spanish ha-ha. So there is a kid here gonna serve in Argentina and his family asked us to come by to give a blessing of consuelo. So we went, and Elder McRae blessed the kid and the mom. and the dad asked me to bless him ha-ha. Wow I was so nervous! Never in my life have I given a blessing in my native language, now I had to give one in Spanish. I think it went good though. I don’t think all the grammar was right because I was so nervous but I got my point across. Tanner was right, he said that giving a blessing in the mission is the best thing ever and it is! I felt like a legitimate missionary after the blessing.

So that was my week this week, we taught and talked to a ton of people! The last 3 weeks, I was just walking around and trying to find people. this time, oh wow it’s completely different! I don’t have a problem with walking around, it’s only when we walk for 16 miles in a day without teaching anyone that's hard!

So dad, I don’t think I have answered you question the last couple weeks.... the weather... the weather here is perfect. It’s kinda chilly in the mornings, but during the day is pretty sunny and perfecto. At nights it feels so good. My body is so confused. mi cuerpo is so used to being hot this time of here so it’s a change for it ha-ha. The food here is good too. Mostly just chicken, rice, and sometimes a vegetable. Every time we go to a members house they give bread and a hot drink like a flavored drink and it’s really good. I still don’t know how long I will be with the zone leaders. I think I’ll be with them for this change, so in 2 weeks more I’ll have my companion. I hope I get a Latino, because having a Latino companero makes you learn Spanish a whole lot faster! I feel like my Spanish has improved a ton this past week!

 Mom, I have not yet received the package. apparently, missionaries in Guayaquil get their packages a lot sooner because that’s where the mission home is and all the packages get sent to there so I haven’t received anything. They said it takes about 2 to 3 months to get packages and sometimes letters too ha-ha. so yeah for my birthday you’re going to have to send it in February ha-ha. 

 Clint! What a  stud! number 33 that’s legit! You’re looking beastly out there on the field.  Safety gets all the fun drilling people. aw man, looking at those pics made me a little trunkie ha-ha. it’s all good though! keep it up bro and tear the crap out of those idiots from Vegas.

Everything is going great here! I’m loving being a missionary. Wow talking to that women on the bus got me pumped being out here. I love the language. I’m probably going to teach my family Spanish in the future ha-ha. You guys should learn it to so we can talk in Spanish together. Alright everyone that’s it for this week! love you lots! peace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment